June 8, 2008

Working Cows




Yesterday was the big day of working the cows. The Richins usually get about 60 yearlings each Spring, feed them, and beef them up, then sell them in the Fall. But before they can take them up to their land in Henefer we have to work them. In other words, we have to tag them, give them shots, and brand them with the Bar R brand. It's quite the job and experience. I tagged their ears for a while, but then decided I didn't like being the one pushing the pin through all that skin in their ear, so I decided to help the other girls get them lined up ready to go into the shoot. Oh, I also got to brand my first cow. Burnt hair and skin of a cow is really stinky. We weren't exactly clean when we got done and there were a few injuries as always, but nothing too serious. We started at 9:00 and went till about 2:30- through the rainstorm and all. It is always a family affair. Marsha provided the yummy orange rolls about half way through and Aubree and Karter even came in their cowboy boots and wranglers to help out. It was a fun and successful day.

2 comments:

The Ostlers said...

Oh we wish we could have been there! My mom told you wanted to brand a cow, so you waited until the very last one :) Good job Nat! I don't even think I have ever branded a cow and I have been around cows my whole life! Love you guys...

Annie

Seth said...

I hear ya! heck cows stink even before you brand them. Looks like you guys had fun though. (nice hats)